December 15, 2017
Jack Perconte has dedicated his post-major league baseball career to helping youth and their parents through the complicated world of youth sports. Combining his playing, coaching and parenting experiences he continues to help create better sporting experiences for both athletes and their parents. He has authored multiple books, including his most recent, Creating a Season to Remember.
Thank you to our sponsors! – Lead ‘Em Up – Save 10% using discount code ‘wyccoaches’ at leademup.com
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link–
- Early on Jack was bothered by the ‘know-it-all’ kids, but over the years he has learned to stick with them and they can become some of your best supporters
- Start with talking with the kids about their individual strengths and weaknesses
- Set up short-term and long-term plans with them
- Utilize multiple stations with small groups to keep everyone
Achieving peak performance mentally
- Confidence comes and goes, it’s the coaches job to keep stay optimistic. Good things happen in the players’ heads when you have confidence in them and let them know you believe in them.
- Confidence comes from perfecting the fundamentals
- When Jack was playing in the Dodgers organization, the Dodgers came down to watch a couple players in the minor leagues. One player was on fire, and the other was struggling. A few weeks later they called up the player who was struggling. They said it was because they were so impressed with the attitude of the player while he was struggling.
- It’s critical to have a meeting with the parents before the season and explain your philosophies on playing time, strategies, etc.
- Continue that communication with updates to the parents throughout the season
Coaching your own kids
- Each kid is different. Some embrace learning from their parent, some resist it.
The One that Got Away
- Jack made the last out of the season in a one game playoff when with the Dodgers
- Failure is a great motivator to work harder
- All books by John Wooden
- Website/Book: baseballcoaching.tips
- Creating a Season to Remember – A great A to Z resource for coaching a team
- Podcast: Something Worth Catching
- Stay ahead of the curve. There are so many resources, keep learning.
Reviews are the lifeblood of the podcast!- If you like the podcast- please take 2 minutes to write a review! Click here
Ready to be an Awesome Youth Coach? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter: