October 26, 2017
Dave Holt is a high school administrator/ teacher, operates a private baseball teaching school, helps with an American Legion baseball team and constantly is researching, writing articles and guidebooks, and adding to his coach and play baseball website.
Thank you to our sponsors! – Lead ‘Em Up – Save 10% using discount code ‘wyccoaches’ at leademup.com
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
‘A good coach can give correction without causing resentment’ – John Wooden
Coaching your own kids
- Dave’s dad did a great job of just going out and playing with and throwing with his boys, and not instructing them. Just let them learn to enjoy the sport and don’t antagonize them by nitpicking their mechanics.
- Dave wishes he had spent more time on the one-on-one relationship side of coaching
- Maximize # of touches!
- Get lots of touches in some type of competition
- Fast catch – Line up with a partner and when you’ve caught 10 in a row, take a knee (competition)
- You want kids to be ultra-aggressive and play without fear
- Be thinking long-term development, not short term wins.
- Don’t focus on winning. Focus on playing well.
Travel sports options
- Travel sports lite – you can do travel teams and compete within your own area, not all over the country
Culture – Rewarding success
- Dirtiest uniform, biggest sweat ring on their hat, best encouraging teammate
Connecting with and impacting kids
- Dave coached a kid who was going to quit, Dave got together with the principal and they encouraged him not to quit. He stuck with it and went on to start on the baseball team his senior year.
The one that got away
- Dave had a player who was the best player on the team and skipped a team event. Dave played him instead of disciplining him, and regrets that decision.
Best Stolen Idea
- 3-team it: Break the team into 3 teams and rotate them together. Great way to practice with lots of touches and you can scrimmage with these 3 teams.
- Book: The Matheny Manifesto by Mike Matheny
- Book: Inside-out Coaching by Joe Ehrmann
- Book: Go for the Magic by Pat Williams
- Book: Why Johnny hates sports by Fred Engh
- Quote: ‘A good coach can give correction without causing resentment’ – John Wooden
Coach and play baseball resources
- Books, dvd’s, articles, and many more resources
- Website/books: coachandplaybaseball.com
- Baseball has a very high level of failure. Embrace and expect mistakes. Help kids manage the failures.
Reviews are the lifeblood of the podcast!- If you like the podcast- please take 2 minutes to write a review! Click here
Ready to be an Awesome Youth Coach? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter: