February 21, 2018
WYC 142 – Physical Literacy – Steve Boyle talks living life as a Walk-on
Steve and his wife Kerry started their first camp in 2008, and only 4 summers later, the camp was declared “Best Summer Camp” in Hartford Magazine’s Readers Poll and their programs have received tremendous positive coverage from area media outlets. Now over 1000 kids have come to recognize that “Life’s 2 Short 4 Just 1 Sport” and kids from throughout the U.S. and beyond are attending their programs.
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link–
Walking-on to his college basketball team
- Steve was probably the 4th best player on his high school basketball team. He approached his coach and said he thought he could play D1 basketball. His coach did everything but laugh at him.
- That fueled him to go on and start for his D1 team in college
- He now takes pride in living life as a ‘walk-on.’ Trying things he has no experience with and taking risks.
- Lesson for coaches: Be careful about ever telling a kid ‘this just isn’t your sport’- you never know when someone will be a late-bloomer or just outwork the others.
Physical Literacy and Project Play
- Physical Literacy – The ability, the confidence, and the desire to be physically active for life
- The Quality Coaching Collective – QCoachingCollective.com
- Camps that promote sport sampling
- Now in Connecticut, Denver, and 2 more locations coming soon
Recent great books read
- Be as genuine and honest as you can with your athletes. Value being trusted over being liked.
Reviews are the lifeblood of the podcast!- If you like the podcast- please take 2 minutes to write a review! Click here
Ready to be an Awesome Youth Coach? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter: