December 8, 2016
WYC 100 – Personality Science – James Leath & Will Drumright discuss Hot Topics in Sport Psychology from the AASP
The Association for Applied Sport Psychology National meeting was a few weeks ago – so for Episode 100 we invited 2 of our favorite sport psychology guys who attended to share with us some lessons learned.
James Leath has been a WYC guest previously in episodes 61, 50 and 31. James’ first interview on the show, WYC Episode 31, was a huge hit and is the #1 downloaded episode all-time on the show.
Will Drumright is a sport psychology coach who has worked with Dr. Rob Bell, providing mental skills and performance psychology training to coaches, athletes, and teams. Will focuses on the high school and middle school athletes. Will is also a professional Ultimate Frisbee player and coaches the local high school Ultimate Frisbee team.
Both guys now work for IMG Academy, one of the world’s premier training schools for athletes in many different sports.
Sign up for James’ weekly Coach Notes: James Leath weekly Coach Note
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
- Rock-Paper-Scissors-Cheerleader – Great activity to start meetings/practices
How has sport psych work evolved over the past year?
- Looking at the individual not just the athlete
- A move from strategy and X’s and O’s to focus on developing people
- Personality science vs brain science
More emerging trends
- Are you teaching your kids about failure? Don’t rob them of what it feels like to not be good enough. A carefree childhood sets up your kids to not know how to deal with failure, a bad coach, or a bad boss.
How about youth coaches?
- Listen to podcasts, read blogs, read books
- Great books on how kids learn/succeed:
I Youth Football helps coaches, organizations, or parents teach football skills to kids ages 3-11. Not only does I Youth Football guarantee your players increase their skills, they will give you individualized pricing based on your situation. So if you are a coach or want your local organization to run I Youth Football in your area, visit them at www.iyouthfootball.com and reach out. It’s simple to set up, and a nice way to earn a little side money while helping kids learn the game of football. To get $100 off the program be sure to use this coupon code: winning