October 20, 2016
WYC 095 – From Spanish Teacher to MMA Fighter – Charlie ‘The Spaniard’ Brenneman
In 2007, Charlie Brenneman left the comfort of his hometown and full-time job as a Spanish teacher to pursue a career in mixed martial arts.
What started out as a dream soon turned into reality. Charlie fought at every level of the industry, including an 11-fight UFC career. After upsetting #6 ranked Rick Story in 2011, his life changed as he skyrocketed into the world rankings and went head-to-head with the best fighters in the world, such as UFC Champion Johny Hendricks and current top-ranked light heavyweight Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.
The key ingredient in his climb to the top – HARD WORK.
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
‘We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit’
What types of goals did you set when you set out on this course to fight in the MMA?
- The goal is not the be-all-end-all. It’s the experience, knowledge, the process that you gained in the pursuit of the goal. Process vs. outcome
Your book is titled ‘Driven’ – what does it mean to be driven?
- Charlie spent a whole bunch of time on the road driving around to be around the best trainers. So the title ‘Driven’ is a double-meaning of being driven and motivated while at the same time spending a bunch of time on the road driving to his training.
- Preparation = Self-confidence
- Preparation trumps self-doubt
- Don’t pretend something bad didn’t happen. But set a timeframe to allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself, then move on. This timeframe could be 3 seconds, it could be 7 days (in the case of Charlie after a tough MMA loss.)
‘Get serious about having fun’
- It’s all about perspective – don’t lose perspective that playing sports should be fun
‘A fighter’s mindset’ Podcast:
- ‘How you do one thing is how you do everything’ – Mike Tyson quoting Cus D’Amato
- In everything Charlie does, he prepares for it as he would a fight: with discipline, with self-confidence, extreme preparation, resilience, perseverance
What is the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you?
His Dad: Humility: ‘Don’t go around telling others how good you are, let them tell you’
Favorite success or leadership quote? Favorite success or leadership book?
- Quote: ‘We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit’
- Book: Extreme Ownership – Navy Seal author Jocko Willink
- ‘Be the change you want to see’
- Podcasts, book, blog, daily reading videos, and much more!
I Youth Football helps coaches, organizations, or parents teach football skills to kids ages 3-11. Not only does I Youth Football guarantee your players increase their skills, they will give you individualized pricing based on your situation. So if you are a coach or want your local organization to run I Youth Football in your area, visit them at www.iyouthfootball.com and reach out. It’s simple to set up, and a nice way to earn a little side money while helping kids learn the game of football. To get $100 off the program be sure to use this coupon code: winning