November 17, 2016
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
‘It’s usually what we’re hesitant or fearful of doing that leads to our biggest strides and growth’
‘The Honey Badger’ – the important difference between hard work and talent
- Honey badgers are fierce, scrappy animals- that is the type of athlete you should aspire to be
Motivation, self discipline and nutrition
- Water is huge!
- Daniel had a high school basketball coach who benched him because of his attitude – it really changed Daniel’s approach to team sports
Training and skill development – Keeping it fun
- Setting goals is fun. There is a positive dopamine effect when you cross something off a list. Track progression and check off milestones along the way.
- Coach K on the 2008 Redeem Team – Reminded his team that in 20 years they are going to look back and deeply miss those competitive situations, so thrive on it in the present.
- Visualization is huge
- Self-mantra and inner monologue – ‘I am going to make this shot’
- Constant accountability to one another
- Setting team goals – and rewarding positive team-first behavior
- High-fives, huddling as a team before a free-throw, anything that pulls the team together during the game should be a priority
Connecting with and impacting kids
- The Selway Family Foundation – Underprivileged youth scholarships
- Mentoring – Daniel loves helping younger athletes avoid some of the mistakes he made when growing up
The One that got away
- Daniel got fouled at the end of a basketball game, and his head was full of negative images and thoughts: ‘If I miss this…’ – and he went on to miss both free throws. He learned the power of positive visualization and staying present and in the moment.
Best borrowed or stolen idea
- ‘I don’t know if you’re going to win this fight, but I know you’re going to come out of it a better fighter just because of the experience you have gained’ – This was huge for Daniel because it took the pressure off winning and allowed him to just enjoy the competition and do his best.
Favorite coaching or leadership quote/book
- Ray Lewis Ted talk – Persevering through pain
- Book: Rafa by Rafael Nadal – talks about how he had faulty mental processing before he beat Roger Federer and how he overcame it
- www.daniel-hayes.com – sells shirts – $2 of every shirt sold goes to charitable foundation
- ‘It’s usually what we’re hesitant or fearful of doing that leads to our biggest strides and growth’
I Youth Football helps coaches, organizations, or parents teach football skills to kids ages 3-11. Not only does I Youth Football guarantee your players increase their skills, they will give you individualized pricing based on your situation. So if you are a coach or want your local organization to run I Youth Football in your area, visit them at www.iyouthfootball.com and reach out. It’s simple to set up, and a nice way to earn a little side money while helping kids learn the game of football. To get $100 off the program be sure to use this coupon code: winning