August 17, 2017
Meagan Frank is the author of the Choosing to Grow series, a national speaker, writer, teacher, coach, and mother of three. She is a regular contributor to the online magazine Books Make a Difference and she is working on four separate books, including Choosing to Grow for the Sport of It: Because All Kids Matter –Five years of research to justify the choices her family has made with regard to youth sports.
Thank you to our sponsors! – Lead ‘Em Up – Save 10% using discount code ‘wyccoaches’ at leademup.com
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
‘Individual commitment to a group effort, that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.’ – Vince Lombardi
Coaching your own kids
- Each kid and age level has different needs, you have to adapt to the situation
- Meagan wore a hat when coaching, so it was clear when she had her hat on, she was coach; when she took the hat off, she was mom
- Don’t necessarily emulate who coached you – ‘Yelling never works’
- Different drills are needed for each type of girl. Some will respond to game-like competition, others will respond to more cooperative drills.
- Start and end each practice with something fun/positive
- Blob tag – If you touch them they become part of the blob. You can bring in the parents too
Player Choice practices
- Occasionally let the players choose their favorite games, then pick them out of the hat, and that’s all you do for practice
- Teach kids to flush mistakes
- ‘Tell me one good thing you achieved today’
- Have players share shout-outs for each other at the end of practice
- The coaches’ body language, especially after a mistake, is critical – kids will watch you and emulate your body language
- They create a hashtag to reinforce their core value. i.e. #CloseTheGap
Best team building activity
- Scavenger hunts – can include conditioning (2 mile run with stops with clues)
Travel sports choices
- You have to prioritize your time – don’t just blindly sign up for sport after sport.
The one that got away
- Meagan’s team was struggling, and they were on the verge of winning a game, and she subbed all her players in, and they lost the game.
Best stolen/borrowed idea
- Communication – everyone is in the loop. Players, Coaches, parents. They all know philosophy and goals of the program
- Book – John Wooden’s They Call me Coach
- Quote – Vince Lombardi: ‘Individual commitment to a group effort, that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.’
- Smile. Have fun. It is contagious.
Reviews are the lifeblood of the podcast!- If you like the podcast- please take 2 minutes to write a review! Click here
Ready to be an Awesome Youth Coach? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter: