January 17, 2017
Marshall Lehr is a baseball and softball coach in Texas. He is the father of 4 and has coached many of their teams growing up. He is a passionate believer in the power of sports, and specifically baseball and softball. He is also a great student of the game, having recently gone through John O’Sullivan’s Coaching Mastery course.
Website & Blog: marshalllehr.com
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
‘The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place’ – George Bernard Shaw
Coaching your own kids
- Make decisions based on results more than potential (it is easy to see the potential in your own kids, but the results need to be the criteria used)
- Marshall had two moms complaining to the ref and instead of diffusing the situation he got in an argument with them.
- Diffuse situations with the phrase ‘I can see why you think that’
- ‘The ability to learn faster than your opponent may be your only true competitive advantage’
- Make everything competitive to raise the energy level – You can buy one of those little scoreboard flip charts
- Game – Pull out a stop watch and see how quick the girls can get fly ball into cutoff
- A healthy learning environment is one where kids are playing free and aren’t afraid to make mistakes
- Keep one error one error.
- Book: Top Dog – Penalty kicks:
- Kicking not to lose: 63%
- Kicking to win: 93%
- They had toy WWE belt they gave to best defensive player – and would use Discount Double-check motion during games to lighten the mood and excite each other
- First out after an error is huge – so after games they would recognize who made the play to get the first out after an error
Connecting with and Impacting Kids
- Marshall sends notes in the mail to his kids – there is a service where you can print pictures off Facebook in a card format.
- Reinforce with kids their importance is not dependent on their sports performance
The One that got away
- Marshall got a 2nd & 3rd chance – He had a kid struggling with pitching and took himself out of the game. The first time he let the kid leave the game. 6 months later the kid wanted to take himself out, Marshall asked the kid to get him 1 out. The kid still struggled. Then 6 months later he asked the kid to get him 1 out and he worked out of a bases-loaded no outs situation without giving up any runs.
Best borrowed/stolen idea
- The decision is part of the skill – learned from Mark Upton
- Compete and measure it!
Favorite coaching book/quote
- Quote/Book: ‘We went out looking for exceptional kids and what we found is exceptional conditions’ – Benjamin Bloom in Developing Talent in Young People. Be the coach to develop exceptional athletes and people.
- Book: Mindset by Carol Dweck
- You can’t teach everyone the same way
- Have a preseason meeting with your parents to set expectations. ‘The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place’ – George Bernard Shaw
I Youth Football helps coaches, organizations, or parents teach football skills to kids ages 3-11. Not only does I Youth Football guarantee your players increase their skills, they will give you individualized pricing based on your situation. So if you are a coach or want your local organization to run I Youth Football in your area, visit them at www.iyouthfootball.com and reach out. It’s simple to set up, and a nice way to earn a little side money while helping kids learn the game of football. To get $100 off the program be sure to use this coupon code: winning